Legislative Branch

Who We Are

The Legislative Branch of USG is the representative and decision-making body for undergraduate students, charged with staying in close contact with key administrators and students about important issues. This branch consists of Speaker of the Senate, 12 senators, and 6 Standing Committees. Their work is supported by the Parliamentary Secretary, Legislative Aides and Senate Aides. Together, they represent the interests of undergraduate students and create solutions to problems that represent a middle ground between students, staff, faculty, and the community.

Our Leaders

Nivea Krishnan

Nivea Krishnan

Vice President

Alvaro Flores

Alvaro Flores

Speaker of the Senate

Zaid Diaz-Arias

Zaid Diaz-Arias

Chief Diversity Officer

How to Join Us

Come to a Senate meeting! We meet every Tuesday at 7pm in TCC 350.

 Come to one of our six committee meetings: Academic Affairs, Accessibility, Affordability & Basic Needs, External Affairs, Sustainability & Campus Infrastructures, and Wellness Affairs

Legislative Branch Project Tracker

See 2022-23 Legislative projects and latest work!

CommiteeProject TitleDescriptionLast StepNext StepStatusProject Lead(s)Team MembersLast Updated
24 Hour DiningExtend Hours of Campus DiningSPACE ToolKit TeamLooking into food truck series or vending machinesIn ProgressSenator Singh & Senator SambwhaniSenior Executive Aide Rianna Rios, Diana Carpio3/13
Sunscreen and Menstrual Product DistributionWork with RSOs on campus to distribute Sunscreen and Menstrul products recieved from Cathartic to unhoused individualsDistributed 48 bottles of sunscreen to mobile clinic for first distribution effort.Coordinate large distribution event with other campus organizations.In ProgressSenator Gillath and Committee Chair Monica Rodriguez1/31
Rest SC (Commuter/Wellness Hub)Sleeping pods on campus in a concentrated hub and/or Leavey LibrarySelected space for RestSC in URC!Deciding which pods the hub should house and purchasing theseIn ProgressSenator Sambhwani, Senator Habibi, MENASA AL Eduard GhazaryanNatalie Patton, GSG, URC Team, Pres. Woodworth3/13
Sustainability x SpeakerSustainability speaker series from every career pathRequesting Funding PhaseMeeting with Speakers CommitteeIn ProgressSenator SinghSenator Feighery & Committee Chair Sara Stienecker, Senator Singh's Senate Aide1/31
National Transfer Student WeekSupport TSA in creating awareness for their upcoming NTSW events and work to make this a permanent part of orientation (improving transfer student experiences in integrating to SC)Meeting with TSAMeeting with TaMishaCompletedSenator SambhwaniTSA Directors Sophia & Akos10/12
USCard Apple Wallet IntegrationAdding students' USCard to their Apple WalletMeeting with all stakeholders at USC involved in the integrationContinued meetings after all logistics are researchedIn ProgressSenators Sam Nadol, Maria Barun, and Michelle Lu🙂12/1
Medical Supplies Vending MachineMaking medical supply vending machine more accesMet with all stakeholders on 2/28, figuring out logistics for Plan B distributionWill be ordered in next two weeksIn ProgressSenator Michelle Lu, AFFBN CommiteeSenator Divya Jakatdar2/1
USC Dining Halal/Kosher InitiativeRequest tags for dietary restrictions at all USC Dining facilitiesConversations with USC DiningArranging a meeting with Paul about a new infographicIn ProgressSenator Sambhwani, Senator JakatdarSenate Aide McKayla Dorantes, Senate Aide Natalie Patton3/13
California Universities CoalitionCo-created an event for Coalition among all California UniversitiesPlanning event with Chapman President on 2/18Event actually happening!!!CompletedSenator Singh1/31
Accessibility 101Social media campaign educating students on what accessibility is, what disabilities are, anaonymous testimonials, etc.Created google form for student testimonials. Collected information from SAA is regards to allyship and resources. Consolidating information to send to comms + recording footage for the IG reel In ProgressCommittee Chair Julianna Melendez and Allison Stowe (GM)Committee Chair Julianna Melendez & Ahad Kajani2/27
Reporting Form CentralizationClearly listing and labeling all USC's reporting forms onto USG's and GSG's websiteWaiting for resources to be uploaded to the USG website, then will send over to GSG for uploading to their respective website Waiting for resources to be uploaded to the USG website, then will send over to GSG for uploading to their respective websiteCompletedCommittee Chair Julianna Melendez and Allison Stowe (GM)Committee Chair Julianna Melendez & Allison Stowe11/17
Class Recording PledgeA campaign empowering students to request class recordings be available for all classes, to remove accessibility barriers to education.Assigned a project leadEstablish new project leadStalledCommittee Chair Julianna MelendezCommittee Chair Julianna Melendez 1/26
Pass/ No Pass Extension P/NP Extension to Week 5 Leg Branch PresentationSenate PresentationIn ProgressTyler Fischer Mikena Moore3/7
University Grading Scale Incorporation of A+ technology Present to CAPP for recomendation to ProvostIn ProgressTyler Fischer3/7
Digital Academic Resourcescompile digital toolkit compiling confirm with committee then send to commIn ProgressKate Hsu 9/27
RA Emergency Kit ExpansionExpanded vital life-saving drugs in residential halls through on-call RA emergency backpacks or adding naloxone/EpiPen kits near AED kits to ensure their availability in times of time-sensitive emergenciesAAPP (Naloxone SC) would facilitate the naloxone administration training and provide the needed naloxone to RAs. Attended RHA open forum to express this proposal to RHA and ResEd. Mari Brown, head of naloxone distribution for AAPP, is in contact with SHC already and will express approval for project. Meet with ResEd or RHA to further discuss concerns/views on this proposal. Collect more RA responses on RA opinion collection survey In ProgressBrianna Sanchez Brianna Sanchez2/22
USC Student HandbookProvide USC students with information about many resources that are actively avaiable on campus that many are not aware of. It ensures that all additional resources can be allocated to students that are not hyperaware. Additionally, the project has created a small syllabus extension that acts as a 'Pocket Edition' .Finalize the "Pocket Edition' version of the handbook, work to reach out to organizations that can potentailly benefit from the handbook, and specifically reach out to) Orientation Advisors and Coordinators for incoming freshmen in addiiton to Residnential Halls to properly expand and develop both our influence and USG's connections to the community - Met with USG VP to discuss possible merge with RHA, ResEd, and Student Health Existing Guides- establish a relationship with ResEd, RHA, and Student Health Representatives- host a meeting with RHA and ResEd representatives separately - meeting with Emily Anderson, Dean of Undergraduate Student Affairs to discuss possible distribution of the pocket handbook- follow up meeting with USG VP to discuss updates with RHA/ResEd mergeIn ProgressJohn PacePhong Do, John Pace, Brianna Sanchez, Karina Patel2/1
DnD: DPSxDulce InitiativeCreate an open dialogue between USC students and DPS officers over a complementary cup of a Dulce latte and dougnut of choice.Submit the initial proposal, establish contact with Dulce and DPS represenatives.-receive recognition and funding from Leg and Senate - have 1:1 meeting with DPS Chief, Lauretta Hill- establish potential areas where the coffee chat can occur around campus- create signs, posters, and awareness of event around campus; start a buzz; possible announcements at Org-Wide/presentation at next senate meeting In ProgressJohn PacePhong Do, John Pace, Brianna Sanchez, Karina Patel2/1
International Dance DayInternational Dance Day would include several dance organizations and Kaufman faculty hostingdance workshops throughout the day. Students will be able to attend as many workshops as theywant and explore different orgs and styles.contacted Kaufman dean, confirmed 3 ALs, reached out to dance orgsfigure out locations, confirm spacing and schedule, figure out logisticsIn ProgressKarina PatelKarina Patel2/9
Restaurant CrawlHold these restaurant crawls based on cultural months/celebrations. For instance, during Black History Month, I want to focus on local restaurants owned by Black members of the community. Through this method, I hope to highlight various communities found in South LA and promote cultural competence within USC students.APASA, BSA, LSA, and MENASA AL’s have sent list of restaurants & routesMonica Rodriguez will call restaurants for quotesIn ProgressMonica RodriguezJake Velasquez, Yoav Gillath, Sanjana Sambhwani1/31
Reform DPS/South Central Narrative @ Orientation and Admissions OfficeReforming the DPS/South LA Narrative at the Orientation and Admissions Office allows South Los Angeles natives to showcase the hidden gems while breaking down the stigmas surrounding our community. By changing how it’s portrayed to students at USC, it encourages spending at local businesses and building new friendships between students and natives.Emailed Jessica Neilson to coordinate where orientation process is atAttend orientation trainingsStalledMonica RodriguezManav Gundech
Local Business on CampusEnsure that we uphold our leasing contract and make sure that we encourage students to explore the surrounding community by showing them what they can stumble upon. We can do this by making sure that vacancies are filled and the contract is fulfilled which places locally owned businesses in a vicinity that students feel safe in.Reviewed village contractFill for an amendmentIn ProgressMonica RodriguezJake Velasquez
Fryft ExpansionIncrease Fryft capacity or rearrange current restrictions.Made a comms survey to gauge student wants/needsmeet with USG VPIn ProgressMonica RodriguezNavya Singh
USC x South Central Community MuralCreate a symbolic mural on campus collaborating with USC student artists and the dozens of muralists who paint all over the South Central community and neighboring arts district.Meet with Aline Mora Diaz over Zoom to see where we could put our muralMeet with Aline 11/1 to check out the stairwell & figure out next steps for permissionIn ProgressMonica Rodriguez, Susanna Andryan
Neighborhood Council Meeting AttendanceCommittee member attends bi-weekly neighborhood meetings with the South Central community.Vincent submitted application & was notified that the board would review his application at the next neighborhood meetingAttend next neighborhood meetingIn ProgressVicent Cisneros
DPS Budget TransparencyIncrease budget transparency by releasing the yearly budget for DPS so the general public can see how much DPS spends throughout the year.Meet with Dr. SouthersLunch with Dr. SouthersIn ProgressMonica RodriguezManav Gundech
Lethal Weapon Ban on CampusWorking to ban lethal weapons on campus, specifically prohibiting DPS officers from carrying, unless an extenuating circumstance presents itself, such as an active shooter.Meet with Dr. SouthersLunch with Dr. SouthersStalledMonica RodriguezManav Gundech, Sanjana Sambhwani, Kai Cayetano, Taylor Clanton
Blue Lives Matter on Campus ReformEducating DPS officers about the harm of wearing Blue Lives Matter apparel. Make DPS aware that Blue Lives Matter was created in response to Black Lives Matter and not because officer lives are in danger.Scheduling meeting with Alma BurkeN/AIn ProgressMonica RodriguezKai Cayetano, Taylor Clanton, Manav Gundech
Counselors, Not Cops (MHART)Finding alternatives to calling DPS regarding mental health crises. One such initiative is Counselors, Not Cops where counselors assess calls and assist with calls. Through triage, counselors can determine the status of the situation and how to best handle the situation due to current circumstances.Meet with Dr. SouthersSchedule meeting with Dr. LeaksIn ProgressMonica RodriguezVincent Cisneros, Manav Gundech, Roger Alvarado
Community Advisory Board/Oversight Board Reform & ImplementationReignite CAB and its function. CAB should consist of LA natives and begin to make demands in order to strengthen the trust between the community and university. CAB should be noting issues that may arise between the two entities and propose resolutions that the university can implement in order to remedy social inequalities.Meet with Dr. SouthersLunch with Dr. SouthersIn ProgressMonica Rodriguez
DPS Hiring Practice ReformRestructure how DPS hires its workers and ensure that no future ex-police officers are hired to work for USC. Make sure students have a say in the process.N/AN/AStalledMonica RodriguezManav Gudech, Roger Alvarado
Sole2Soul x USG Shoe DriveShoe Drive at USC in collaboration with recreational sports clubs, health organizations and Sole2Soul in order to donate shoes to surrounding community members.Contacted Andrew Linares, a member of Midnight Mission, to speak about his organization during Org-Wide and contacted RSOs and assemblies about kickstarting a new competition from the spring semesterCollect a substantial amount of RSOs and assemblies to participate in competitionIn ProgressSusanna AndryanMonica Rodriguez, Maria Barun
Red Cards for Undocumented StudentsRed cards asseting rights to legal officialsfunding request approved, orderingreceive cards to distributeIn ProgressHeydy Vasquez, Michelle Lu2/1
Generation ConsciousZero Waste Detergent stationsMeet with Housing on Nov. 9 regarding feasibilityWorking to find funding/partnersIn ProgressSara StieneckerOlivia Heffernan, Navya Singh
Reusable Containers in Dining HallsImplementing the use of reusable containers in residential dining halls for take-outHad a meeting with Dining to talk about feasibilityReaching out to partner schools to get administration contactsIn ProgressSara Stienecker and Sentor Nadol11/3
Greek Row RecyclingPartnering with sororites to get outdoor recycling bins on the row to promote student recycling (eg. cans) and divert recyclables from the streetsReaching out to Panhellenic & LA Sanitation; Met with LA city sanitationGet in contact with the Fig Bid, sororities, and stay in touch with LA sanitationIn ProgressSara Stienecker, Elsie Bencke Sara Stienecker, Navya Singh, Elsie Bencke12/1
Off-Campus CompostingWorking with off-campus housing complexes to provide compost bins for studentsProposal ApprovedOutreach with sustinability and environmental groupsIn ProgressSara Stienecker, Blair Batson11/3
U-Pass ExpansionExpanding U-Pass program to undergraduatesHad a meeting with transportationTalking with VP Allard to see how we can support the iniative In ProgressSara Stienecker12/1
Converting Green SpacesWork with stakeholders to convert lawns to native plants or turf alternativesMet with the committee to finalize the pilot siteDo pilot siteIn ProgressSara Stienecker, Andrew Wilson12/1
DPS x Social Worker Collabself explanatorymeet with Southersmeet with new DPS chiefStalledTaylor ClantonMonica; Kai 2/2
Certification labelling on Approved Vendors Listadd labels like "black-owned" to approved vendors list Meet with Trojans Shop Local meet with Trojan Shop Local again and look over the vendors list with GAStalledTaylor ClantonKai; Karla; Monica; Paige 2/2
USC Transportation GuideResource guide of Los Angeles public transportation for USC Students Meeting with USC TransportationIn ProgressOlivia HeffernanESA Advoc Director Valeria Diaz10/6
Language ExpansionBringing more language diversity to USCContact writer for Daily Trojan to publish findings; contact Dean Anderson to talk with her about data and next step.Meeting with Dean Anderson, Daily Trojan PublicationIn ProgressKai CayetanoMultiple advocacy liaisons, Kate Hsu3/9
MENA RepresentationAdding a Middle Eastern North African race category on university forms, then push to get it on the Common app and on the Federal CensusMeeting with Dr. Naddia Palacios, met with federal government representatives, implemented MENA as a race category on all university forms (except for the Common app since that is out of USC jurisdiction) CompletedEduard GhazaryanMENASA Advocacy Director10/12

*Data has been truncated for brevity.